Those of you familiar with the Five Rules of the Leptin Diet, know that Rule #4 is; Eat a Breakfast Containing Protein. I have long explained that a high protein breakfast can boost the metabolic rate up to 30% for as long as 12 hours and provide lower insulin release, while assisting with food cravings. New research at the University of Missouri1 agrees with my preference for the high protein breakfast.
This study was done with teenage girls. Some skipped breakfast, others ate an average amount of protein (18 grams) and others had a high protein breakfast (50 grams). The researchers used advanced functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to measure neural activity in response to images of food prior to lunch. They found that a high protein breakfast reduced activation of the brain that would otherwise result in food cravings for the sake of pleasure eating – a primary problem in overweight people. In fact, numerous brain regions showed more stable functionality in response to the high protein breakfast, indicating that the extra protein was very good at helping to control appetite and have a more normal mental relationship with food.
“Everyone knows that eating breakfast is important, but many people still don’t make it a priority,” said Heather Leidy, assistant professor in the MU Department of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology. “This research provides additional evidence that breakfast is a valuable strategy to control appetite and regulate food intake.”
It is easy for anyone, even teens or college students in a hurry, to get a 50 gram protein breakfast by quickly making a whey protein smoothie. Not only does whey protein help appetite, it helps physical fitness, metabolism of fats and cholesterol, and immunity.
Posted by Byron J Richards at 03:42 PM.
- Lipoic Acid and ALC Rejuvenate Muscle and Liver Energy Production
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid Corrects Insulin Signaling
- Are Food Cravings and Excess Food Consumption a Sign of Brain Damage?
- Grape Seed Extract Boosts Muscle Energy & Calorie Burning
- Soluble Fiber Lowers Accumulation of Dangerous Belly Fat
- Diet Soda Proves Fattening When Put to the Test
- Dawn of the New Leptin Era
- Is Gut Bacteria More Important than Calories When it Comes to Body Weight?
- Is a Starvation Diet the Remedy for the Diabetes Epidemic?
- USDA Proves Whey Protein Helps Weight Loss
- Fat Substitute Olestra Promotes Weight Gain
- Forget About Liposuction for Weight Loss
- High Protein Breakfast Dampens Hunger Drive Later in the Day
- Get Rid of Your Cravings to Help Make Healthier Fat
- Snacking Associated With Increased Rates of Injury, Stress & Cognitive Malfunction
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- August 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007