Researchers at the United States Department of Agriculture have published the results of a double-blind, randomized clinical trial showing that whey protein—but not soy protein—is a powerful tool to help weight-loss efforts.
The study involved 90 overweight and obese participants who received either 56 grams per day of whey protein, 56 grams per day of soy protein, or 56 grams per day of carbohydrates for 23 weeks. These nutrients were consumed in two smoothie beverages during the day. Other than that, the participants were given no dietary advice and could eat anything else they wanted.
At the end of the study, those consuming whey protein were 4-5 pounds lighter, their waistlines were smaller, and their hunger was better under control (lower ghrelin levels). It is rather amazing that such progress could be made even though there was no effort to actually eat better.
This study is the latest in an impressive body of research in humans on the benefits of whey protein for metabolic fitness, which includes improving insulin resistance and lowering cholesterol, as well as helping weight loss.
Posted by Byron J Richards at 01:54 PM.
- Lipoic Acid and ALC Rejuvenate Muscle and Liver Energy Production
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid Corrects Insulin Signaling
- Are Food Cravings and Excess Food Consumption a Sign of Brain Damage?
- Grape Seed Extract Boosts Muscle Energy & Calorie Burning
- Soluble Fiber Lowers Accumulation of Dangerous Belly Fat
- Diet Soda Proves Fattening When Put to the Test
- Dawn of the New Leptin Era
- Is Gut Bacteria More Important than Calories When it Comes to Body Weight?
- Is a Starvation Diet the Remedy for the Diabetes Epidemic?
- USDA Proves Whey Protein Helps Weight Loss
- Fat Substitute Olestra Promotes Weight Gain
- Forget About Liposuction for Weight Loss
- High Protein Breakfast Dampens Hunger Drive Later in the Day
- Get Rid of Your Cravings to Help Make Healthier Fat
- Snacking Associated With Increased Rates of Injury, Stress & Cognitive Malfunction
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- August 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007